Thursday, August 22, 2013

Why She Gave Me Money - And Took My Photo

Panhandler with sign for BMW fund
Homeless Patriot uses humor in
his panhandling sign in Houston
Photo credit: Kate Good
August 22, 2013 - Many thanks to the magnificent Kate Good for her heart-warming blog post about me two days ago. I encountered Kate while panhandling in Houston, Texas on a sunny Tuesday morning. The brief time we had to chat, a few seconds really as she waited for the traffic signal to change, was uplifting. Kate is a nationally recognized speaker.

Titled "The Unexpected Email I Received From A Panhanlder Today," Kate wrote this:

"Today, my view of a panhandler changed when one of them emailed me. For the first time in many years I have a morning routine that includes driving the same route each morning.  At one high profile corner there have been two panhandlers who are friendly and creative with their signs. One morning I whipped through the light and saw the sign out of the corner of my eye. The gentleman was asking for money for his BMW fund.  I found this to be an example of the strength of the Houston economy and if I were not late for a meeting I would have made a u-turn and snapped a picture for my Facebook status update."

FOR MY
BMW FUND!
Keep Me Alive and Fighting!

Kate Good's post about me has lifted my spirits and encouraged me to continue my strategy of out-of-the-box "marketing" of myself. Panhandling for money, yes, out of a need to eat. Creating unusual signs, you bet, out of a need to market myself to potential employers. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Also See:
Even Panhandlers Need To Know Business Basics